My beloved London. I’m here to stay, can’t wait to express my love for this city as a London Photographer!
It’s been a few weeks since we returned to the UK to photograph some amazing weddings in London. We had a plan a solid plan to move to Auckland New Zealand to start a family. Our reason being that me and Ricky (husband) both grew up on farms and love the outdoors. After almost a year of travelling the world (check out Nkima On Style) we realised how much love we still have to give to this wonderful, vibrant city!
It hit as as soon as we returned to London and had a camera in my hand. Being a London Wedding Photographer, you have endless inspiration… The world basically is our oyster.
THIS BRINGS ME TO THE BIG NEWS … YES WE ARE STAYING. YES WE ARE POSITIVE. YES WE ARE CRAZY. AND YES WE ARE THE HAPPIEST WE HAVE EVER BEEN.
There’s no secret that it was the hardest thing for me to leave and pack up… But I am a believer that everything happens for a reason and I know that when a door closes to trust that little voice inside. It’s one of the hardest decisions we had to make as half of my family lives in NZ and the other in South Africa. That dream of living in the same country is not squashed but just delayed BY 2-3 years. I first want to put my stamp in London! We are so blessed to have the most amazing friendships to make the move back to London a joyful one. We have some plans up our sleeve to make these next few years incredible!
London. The question is… ARE YOU READY FOR IT?
Thank you to my beautiful photographer friend Ana from White Chateaux for these pictures.
I am too excited to share my 5 reasons why I’m in love with Dubai! It’s impossible not to love being a Dubai Photographer and shooting Destination Weddings and Lifestyle work abroad. We visited Dubai for only one weekend, so we decided it was so fabulous we had to return this June/July. See our latest Dubai family shoot in mystical sunrise here.
WE DON’T WAIT FOR THINGS TO HAPPEN, WE MAKE THEM HAPPEN
1. Sunrise dunes in Dubai is a must for any destination photographer or traveller. We had the opportunity to have a BBQ true South African style on the dunes waiting for sunrise with this adorable family below. Breakfast and enchanting family sessions made our experience.
2. El Chiringuito Dubai was one of those gems we saw on instagram and knew it was our kinda place! Beautiful views of the city and they have the most incredible bar filled with pure white dreamcatchers. Let’s just say I went a little photo crazy as they just represent how I always imaged Dubai’s hangouts to be.
3. Souk Madinat is like a maze than you can totally get lost in. We spend hours walking around, finding the most interesting corners. The beautiful markets and canals will give you that cultural boost for your first time in Dubai!
4. Cove Beach Dubai will make you want to move to Dubai, no seriously. Surrounded by stunning views like the Burj al arab with modern grey furniture is totally my vibe! Dreamy as it looks, we took the time to take it all in.
5. Last but not least is Jumeirah Beach Hotel, a luxury family beach resort in Dubai. We had a stroll on the lengthy beach just in time for the dreamiest pinky tone sunset! As travel photographers we never put that camera down, and having one day in Dubai was not an exception. See our travel photos on instagram on Nkima on Style.
Blogger Photographer, Cape Town
It”s no surprise that I’m all about some vibrant colours and a total risk taker in Photography! When in Cape Town there’s no doubt on locations. So many insanely picturesque spots but colourful Bo Kaap has always been my favourite. Being a blogger photographer gives me the freedom to be fully expressive in my work.
Let colour influence your soul
As many of you know I am a South African girl who moved to London when I was 12 year old. I visit SA every two years and every time I return I grow… Grow with my photography and how I see life. Bo Kaap never looked so good! I knew I had to make it my go-to spot for some serious photo shooting. Which brings me to the model… Ghislaine, fearless and strong! This girl knows how to play with the camera. She’s a beauty Youtuber and Instagram influencer based in Cape Town. The shoot was totally blessed with the perfect sight of a blue vintage car parked with the most magical composition framing the image.
We walked all around De Waterkant, Bo Kaap to find these gems. I always advice two or more outfit changes to keep things fresh and fun! We also only had 40 mins for golden light, can you imagine heels and cameras up and down the hill? Colourful doorways and yellow houses gave me some serious Notting Hill feels. We will be returning to London this year, see more details and my favourite locations in London here.
Top 5 London Engagement locations
Returning to my dream city
Looking for a London photographer who know’s this city inside out? Well…. hint hint, look no further! I’ve been living in the Uk for over 13 years. It became my favourite city to discover bold and pretty locations…Scroll down to see my top 5 shoot locations as a London photographer.
All about LONDON
Okay, well this needs an entire blog post by itself. Wait for it folks, it’s worth it… Believe me.
But first, as we’re moving to New Zealand in September we decided to travel the word this year. Being a London Photographer for a while now, I totally understand my style and where I fit into this crazy world of the Romantics. Me and my Boo will be working together on several London Weddings in July/August 2018. So excited to return to my most loved city and go photo crazy! Get in touch here for Lifestyle, Family, Engagement and of course Wedding photography. Wooh that’s a mouth full ha! Plain and simple, I do it all… well almost.
1. Well of course. My go to romantic destination for my couples who’s into the chic, pure whites and romantic feels.
Alberts Pink + White Bridge. Visit this street in Spring (April) for perfect pinky blooms. Right next to Rayman, 1 Redcliffe rd. Chelsea. All along Kings Roads, not so hidden streets. Walk and you shall find.
2. Wonderful, historical and classy. This location is for the not so shy couples. It’s always buzzing with the London rush, best to go at 10 am before lunch kicks in.
The Grind, very small but so photogenic and minimalistic. Outside the Royal exchange, the steps and pillars are to die for. Be quick though, the security will ask you to leave, but just opposite Grind and The royal exchange are some pillars as well that no one has ever told me off by shooting there! Again, this location is pure city feels. High buildings, old and new…Boutique / cafe feels.
]3.This is a goodie, not only my favourite luxurious location ever, but also the nicest city walk too. Gives you the opportunity to have a beautiful connecting chat with your couple while looking for THE SHOT.
Eden road, for sure! Go at sunset for the soft light to shine through the historical cream buildings. No 11 Plimlico rd cafe/ restaurant is so chic with it’s all black building decor and so editorial to photograph from the outside with a couple walking past. Imagine… create! Wild at heart flowers. Whats more romantic than flowers. The fine cheese and co cafe is just Tiffany dreams with turquoise and white’s.
Trafalgar square and Westminster.
4. It’s a Rome-ance for sure! It’s a beaut for those European vibes. Start your session early. Like really early to avoid the tourists. I start my sessions at 7 am sharp here for light and privacy.
Right by the Square, fountains, steps and street crossings. I always like to include a cute cafe scene, so many in this location to choose. Shooting on the street of the Corinthia will make you love natural light even more.
5. Keeping this one for last, it’s short and sweet! Marylebone. Stunning cafe’s and crossings and in spring/summer they have peonies flower stalls right on the street. Perfect prop for a session!
The whole Marylebone high street will give you enough inspiration.
I hope you enjoyed this blog as much as I did writing it! For full engagement session in Belgravia and Trafalgar square, click here.
Don’t forget to stay updated on our travel photography this year on Nkima on Style | Nkima Photography