Sharing my top 5 tips
for London Portrait Photography
Starting with Location
We had the pleasure of having a portrait photography session with Roberta Facchini,
We started off having a drink at a nearby cafe to chat all about brand values, which helped with knowing what she wanted her clients to see and feel. I would describe her as a strong business woman with a clear view of who she is and what she stands for!
- BELGRAVIA | Known for it’s luxurious cream buildings and chic cafes. It’s no surprise that I love this little piece of heaven. The natural colours bounce perfectly against each other and creates a soft-box for beautiful lit imagery. I know my locations but yet I still wonder and find new hidden spots on every session. This keeps the look and feel of my sessions fresh and exciting (for both parties). London is the perfect place for portrait photography! See for yourself below.
- CAMERA EQUIPMENT | I am a simple gal. Who believes that less is more, and that is why I only shoot with prime lenses. So I own two Nikon bodies and 3 lenses. My preferred lens for portraits has to be my 85mm f1.4 Nikon baby. I like to call it the ”magazine lens”. The look and feel of it is just soft and romantic with that gorgeous depth of field (it also creates that blurry like fading that I adore so much! My 35mm f1.4 is my go to for wide travel/fashion photography and last but not least. My personal use lens, 50mm f1.4, the lightest most powerful little beauty. Crisp and clean, my kinda feels.
“Oh yes, in my books fashion plays the biggest part in the shoot.”
- FASHION | Oh yes, in my books fashion plays the biggest part in the shoot. If you dress your brand or style the shoot will go your way. You have to think, what represents me? After all…My vibe attracts my tribe right? Be comfortable in your clothes, we want to capture you not a you that you saw on pinterest. This is all about self-expression and also an investment in your business. Being a London portrait photographer I myself take pride in how I represent my business through clothing and style. I love how you can showcase who you are as a business woman with the right outfit and right pair of shoes!
- CONFIDENCE | How to make your clients feel at ease in front of you ain’t always an easy game but through the years I feel like I have improved so much by starting the session sitting down… I’m taking cafes, steps, coffee or tea in hand, flowers… The list goes on, anything that makes the situation feel natural and lifestyle! I love sharing a shot now and then with my client to give them that extra boost! After that the good old walking shots is always a winner to create that in motion ”pretty woman walking down the street” look! (Yes I do live in a movie)
- INTERACT | It’s all about communication. I like to talk while I shoot to make you feel more relaxed. Ask questions about how your client feels during the session, really listen to the little details they are unsure of and reassure them that you are here to give them an experience. It’s not all about the images but also about the process!
For London portrait photography please contact me for further details
Read our latest blog post about staying in London here.